Development Team Lead
EnergySys Limited is an exciting oil and gas cloud software vendor with an exceptional product and ambitious vision, and we are now looking for an experienced and dynamic Development Team Lead to ensure our continued market leadership.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, the Team Lead will have overall responsibility for the development of the EnergySys Cloud Platform. They will manage the team to deliver the product roadmap, with the support of our Technical Director.
This role requires exceptional hands-on development skills, as well as the ability to motivate and empower team members to deliver both incremental improvements and ground-breaking innovations. We have a commitment to microservices, running in AWS, and are looking to embed DevOps practices within the team.
- Work directly on the product, demonstrating leadership through hands-on development.
- Validate the product roadmap based on feedback on priorities from all stakeholders.
- Build a detailed task list and effort estimates to allow resource requirements and release dates to be estimated.
- In consultation with others, ensure that our software development process is robust and repeatable.
- Manage and mentor the development team to ensure that they work efficiently and effectively.
- Establish training requirements for the team.
- Provide regular reporting on progress.
- Identify and promote best practices in software development, including testing and design.
- Maintain an awareness of emerging technologies and practices that could improve the quality of the product.
- Identify and promote design patterns that will allow the product to continue to operate at cloud scale.
- Identify and liaise with all stakeholders throughout the development process.
Essential skills and experience
The ideal candidate must have:
- Expertise in software development at cloud scale.
- Experience with AWS and microservices.
- Significant experience of development in Java.
- Highly organised approach to problem solving.
- Detailed knowledge of software development processes.
- Knowledge of UML and design.
- Previous experience as a team lead.
- An ability to translate strategic priorities into key goals and metrics for a team.
- Change management skills.
- Significant experience of good security practises for infrastructure and code.
- Understanding of Agile principles, Scrum framework and the Software Development Lifecycle.
The position is based from home, and candidates must have:
- Current permission to work in the UK.
- A suitable work environment such as a study or separate room where they can work undisturbed.
- Home broadband with at least 10 Mbps download speed and 4 Mbps upload to support video calls and interaction with our cloud development environment.
- Willingness to undertake some global travel to meet with clients and prospects.
Qualifications and experience
- A degree level qualification in an Information Technology or Computer Science related field.
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant postgraduate software development experience in a commercial environment.
- A minimum of 2 years’ team leadership and mentoring of team members
- A proven ability to deliver high quality, working code to solve complex business requirements working with Java, and associated technologies, in a cloud environment.
About the company
EnergySys is redefining the energy software market, beginning with Hydrocarbon Accounting (HCA), disrupting the status quo and focusing on the generation of real business value. This is software as we believe it should be: simple, effective, and continually evolving.
Our company is forward-thinking and innovative, with a close-knit team of driven and focused individuals.
We are a remote by design company.
There is an excellent benefits package for the successful applicant, and staff are encouraged to participate in at least two weeks of formal training per year, leading to Industry Certification.
We value diversity in our team, and we would appreciate the opportunity to interview candidates from groups typically under-represented in software development. We will not sponsor applicants, so they must have a right to work in the UK.
- Location: Home-based
- Industry: IT
- Duration: Full time
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: £65k to £85k / year
- Contributory pension, contributions matched up to 8% by company
- Life insurance
- Permanent sickness insurance
- Private health insurance
- Annual allowance for Dental and Optician care
- Travel insurance
- Flexible working environment
- 25 Days annual leave with 8 additional days in lieu of public holidays